Is there no end to MPs’ misconduct? Do you really know your local MP? This is Neil Parish.
First published: April 2022 | Updated June 2022.
NEIL PARISH MP
🌳 Conservative MP for Tiverton and Honiton
- MP elected on 6 May 2010 (elected 4 times). He resigned on 4 May 2022.
- Majority: 24,239
- Voting record
- Registered Interests
Neil Parish. | UK Parliament - Attribution 3.0 Unported (CC BY 3.0)
- 2013 – Voted against the implementation of same-sex marriage (source)
- 2016 – Voted in favour of the UK leaving the European Union (source)
- 2022 – Watched porn in the House of Commons (source)
- On same-sex marriage – “These things are best left to evolve, this should be for the Church and Christians to decide, not for parliament to legislate.” (source)
- On Brexit – “I personally made the case for Britain to remain in the EU as the best option for British agriculture.” (source)
- On an MP watching porn in the HoC (before being found out) – “When you’ve got sort of 650 members of Parliament in what is, you know, a very intense area, I mean you are going to get people that step over the line. I think it does have to be dealt with and dealt with seriously.” (source)
- On admitting watching porn in the HoC – “The situation was, funnily enough, it was tractors I was looking at, so I did get into another website with sort of a very similar name and I watched it for a bit, which I shouldn’t have done. My crime — my biggest crime — is that on another occasion I went in a second time — and that was deliberate. That was sitting waiting to vote.” (source)
No billionaire owner. No wealthy shareholders. PMP Magazine only exists thanks to donations from our readers.Support our independent journalism
- “In the case of porn in parliament, it appears that it was left to a woman MP sitting next to the man in question to report the matter. Forced into an uncomfortable situation by a colleague who didn’t seem to care, she had to take another uncomfortable step in sparking an investigation.” (source)
IN THE PAPERS:
- Neil Parish MP: I'm resigning after porn moment of madness | BBC News
- Neil Parish: Who is the MP who watched porn in the Commons? | BBC News
- Disgraced Tory MP Neil Parish ‘broke law’ by watching porn in Commons | The Guardian
- Neil Parish: Tory MP in Commons porn row resigns and blames tractors | The Times
- UK Conservative politician resigns after admitting watching porn in Parliament | CNN
- Neil Parish: How his Devon constituency has reacted to suspension | Channel 4 News
— AUTHORS —
▫ PMP News reporting
GET THEM INVOLVED:
- Text: This piece was first published in PMP Magazine on 30 April 2022.
- Cover: UK Parliament - Attribution 3.0 Unported (CC BY 3.0). - Neil Parish.