Is there no end to MPs’ bullying, harassment, sexual misconduct, unaccountability or misbehaviour in general? How much do you actually even know about your local MPs?
This is Lee Anderson, Conservative MP for Ashfield.
First published: May 2022.
LEE ANDERSON MP
🌳 Conservative MP for Ashfield
- MP since 12 December 2019 (elected 1 time)
- Majority: 5,733
- Voting record
- Registered Interests
- Salary: £81,932.04
Lee Anderson. | UK Parliament - Attribution 3.0 Unported (CC BY 3.0)
- Feb-2018 – While serving as a Labour councillor on Ashfield Council, Lee Anderson was handed a four-month suspension by the party locally after placing boulders to deter travellers from setting up camp at a site in the area. (source)
- Mar-2018 – He quit Labour and joined the Conservatives, blaming campaign group Momentum for his decision to defect to the Tories. (source)
- Nov-2019 – As a Tory candidate during the general election campaign, he posted a video on Facebook calling on “Nuisance” council tenants to be forced to live in tents and pick vegetables. (source)
- Nov-2019 – During the same general election campaign, he was caught by a reporter staging a fake door-knock with a friend. (source)
- 2020-21 – Whilst he already earns £81,932.04 a year as an MP, Lee Anderson claimed £219,703.44 in business expenses (higher than the average £203,880 claimed by MPs), including £4,100 on travel and ‘subsistence’. (source)
- Jun-2021 – He announced he would not be watching the England national football team at UEFA Euro 2020 games in response to the players taking the knee before their games. (source)
- Dec-2021 – He broke the party whip and defied the government over plans to introduce COVID passes for entry into nightclubs and mass events in England, and the expansion of laws requiring face coverings to be worn in public places. (source)
- May-2022 – He suggested in the House of Commons that many food bank users need to learn how to cook and budget instead of using food banks and said that meals could be cooked for as little as 30p a day. (source)
- May-2022 – During an interview posted online by the deputy leader of the Reclaim Party, Martin Daubney, he alleged that food writer and activist Jack Monroe was profiteering from poor people. (source)
- May-2022 – In a Facebook post remembering British Army soldier Lee Rigby, who was murdered by two terrorists 9 years ago, he said that he has no problem with supporting the death penalty which he wrote “would have sent these two creatures to another place and saved tax payers a fortune.” (source)
Without free, impartial, and fact-based media, information and democracy will always be controlled by governments and those who control the media. Support PMP Today!CHIP IN or DONATE REGULARLY
- On dealing with anti-social council tenants – “These people, who have to live somewhere, let’s have them in a tent, in the middle of a field. Six o’clock every morning, let’s have them up. Let’s have them in the field, picking potatoes or any other seasonal vegetables, back in the tent, cold shower, lights out, six o’clock, same again the next day.” (source)
- While staging a fake campaign door-knock with a friend – “Make out you know who I am and that you’re not a friend, alright? I’m in the staff car park have a quick look. See you in a minute.” (source)
- On not watching the England football team at the Euro 2020 – “The FA and the England football team have made a big mistake in supporting the taking of the knee before football matches ahead of the European Championships. The FA, Premier League and footballers now run the risk of becoming like the Labour Party and that is having nothing in common with their traditional supporters. For the first time in my life, I will not be watching my beloved England team whilst they are supporting a political movement whose core principles aim to undermine our very way of life.” (source)
- Addressing anti-Brexit activist Steve Bray who was demonstrating peacefully in Westminster – “You’re nothing but a parasite. We’ve established that. You’re a scrounger. Why are you here dressed like a tramp?... I’ll rephrase that... if you smarten yourself up, you’ll make a good tramp.” (source)
- Blaming food poverty on the lack of cooking skills – “There is not this massive use for food banks in this country. We have generation after generation who cannot cook properly — they cannot cook a meal from scratch — and they cannot budget.” (source)
- Out of touch? His answer when asked what he was having for dinner – “I’ve had a sandwich.” (source)
- On the suggestion that Jack Monroe sells a lot of books – “She’s taking money off some of the most vulnerable people in society and making an absolute fortune on the back of people.” (source)
- A former coal miner and a long-time Labour Party member, Lee Anderson was first a Labour councillor in Ashfield, in 2015, before defecting to the Conservative Party in 2018. (source)
- He was a vocal Brexiter during the Brexit referendum campaign and supported Vote Leave.
- He was preceded as a Member of Parliament for Ashfield by Labour Brexiter Gloria De Piero, who he used to work for as an office manager.
Some prospered during the pandemic & claimed hundreds of millions of pounds from the government’s furlough scheme. PMP received nothing. Help us as we crowdfund to make sure we continue our work.Please CHIP IN to keep us going!
IN THE PAPERS:
- Tory MP Lee Anderson branded out of touch for food bank remarks | BBC News
- East Midlands charities blast MP's 'shameful' food bank comments | BBC News
- MP food bank row: Lee Anderson wants to 'educate people' | BBC News
— AUTHORS —
▫ PMP News reporting
- Text: This piece was first published in PMP Magazine on 23 May 2022.
- Cover: UK Parliament - Attribution 3.0 Unported (CC BY 3.0). - Lee Anderson.