The Zoe COVID Study’s positive symptomatic case estimate is increasing again with 119,953 cases. Its 7-day estimate shows 861,893 cases in a week. On average, it is estimated that 123,128 people are still infected every day in the UK.
First published in May 2022.
- 🔍 The Details
- ⏰ Latest Guidance
- 📻 Latest News
- 💬 Comments
- 🐦 Tweets
- 📌 Must-Read
- 🧬 Variants News
- 🏫 Education
- 📈 Full Data
- 🕯️ COVID Death in the World
- 💉 Vaccination Data
- 🧩 Long COVID
- 📄 Additional Data
- 📚 Data Sources
UKHSA Latest Data – ENGLAND ONLY
- 537 deaths in England [within 28 days of first positive test result for COVID-19] were reported in the last 7 days.
- 41,039 new coronavirus infections in the last 7 days according to the latest England data report - the actual number England-wide is potentially significantly higher, always worth checking out the data provided by the ONS and by the King’s College team in the accompanying tables.
- 220,400 coronavirus infections have been reported across England in the last 28 days according to data in the latest England data report.
- The number of deaths in England in the past week equates on average to around 77 deaths each of the past 7 days. If this was to be the “new normal” for daily deaths caused by COVID-19, then annually this would equate to around 28,001 deaths across England.
- Meanwhile, a total of 3,573 deaths due to COVID-19 have been reported across England in the last 28 days.
- 463 COVID-19 hospital admissions in England occurred on 22 May 2022.
- 4,639 patients suffering from COVID-19 are currently occupying hospital beds in England – reported as of 24 May 2022.
- 142 COVID-19 patients are occupying mechanical ventilation beds in England - according to the data reported on 24 May 2022.
- All three of these healthcare measures remain a concern for our under-pressure NHS.
- 845 days since the first infection due to the SARS-CoV-2 virus was reported in Britain (31 January 2020)
- 809 days since the first reported death in Britain (6 March 2020). Coronavirus has now been responsible for infecting around 18.7 million people in England (according to the official reported positive cases data)
Zoe Study UK Latest Estimates
𝗣𝗼𝘀𝗶𝘁𝗶𝘃𝗲 𝗦𝘆𝗺𝗽𝘁𝗼𝗺𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗰 𝗖𝗮𝘀𝗲𝘀
▫ 24h: 119,953 ↗️
▫ 7d: 861,893
▫ 28d: 3,557,242
▫ 123,128 per day
𝗖𝘂𝗿𝗿𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝗦𝘆𝗺𝗽𝘁𝗼𝗺𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗰 𝗖𝗮𝘀𝗲𝘀
𝗖𝗮𝘀𝗲𝘀 𝗦𝗶𝗻𝗰𝗲 𝟭-𝗝𝗮𝗻-𝟮𝟮
(Source: UK Health Security Agency)
■ UK Government’s List of symptoms of COVID-19
After two years without updating its list of just three symptoms of COVID-19 (a high temperature, a new continuous cough and a loss or change to the sense of smell or taste), the NHS has finally updated its list of symptoms of COVID:
😩 Shortness of breath
🥱 Feeling tired or exhausted
🤕 An aching body
🤯 A headache
🤐 A sore throat
🤧 A blocked or runny nose
😞 Loss of appetite
🤮 Feeling sick or being sick
■ ZOE COVID Study’s Top 20 symptoms of COVID-19 (as of 12-May-2022)
- UK deaths involving COVID-19 fall – ONS
The number of deaths in the UK involving COVID-19 fell to 795 in the week ending 13 May 2022 (43 less than the previous week).
There were 13,591 total deaths registered in the most recent week, which was 21.4% (2,397 excess deaths) above the five-year average.
Of the 12,048 deaths registered in England and Wales in the week ending 13 May 2022, 719 (6.0%) mentioned "novel coronavirus". Of these 719 deaths, 62.6% (450 deaths) had this recorded as the underlying cause of death. This is down from 64.5% the week before.
The total number of deaths in England and Wales was 38.0% (947 excess deaths) above the five-year average in private homes , and 19.3% (390 deaths) above in care homes. This week’s figure was 17.0% (775 deaths) above the five-year average in hospitals, and 12.5% (96 deaths) above in other settings.
sign up to our FREE Briefings today.
Since February, the UKHSA has stopped publishing COVID updates at weekends. Now they take place on Mondays and Thursdays only. And since 20 May, the UK dashboard has stopped updating Northern Ireland data altogether.
The virus doesn’t take a break at weekends, nor does it show up twice a week only. It spreads and kills people every day in the UK and around the world.
We, at PMP, have decided to continue to publish the latest COVID data available every day, especially the Zoe COVID Study estimates – probably more accurate than the UK Government’s own data since free testing has ended in England.
Please support our work to help us to continue our COVID reporting: Donate now.
■ 🧬 COG-UK sequencing
full uk data
📈 ENGLAND COVID-19 CHART
(Source: UK Health Security Agency)
💉 Latest UK Vaccination
Note: UK vaccination data is now published weekly on Mondays.
Note: Data cross-referenced with the latest official data from the UK dashboard.
Total UK population: 67,081,234 (last year: 66,796,800), via ONS (subject to changes in population over the year). These figures were updated on 25 June 2021. (Source: ONS)
🚨 1.8 million people currently live with long COVID in the UK
🚨 2.8% of the UK population currently live with long COVID
🚨 1 in 36 people in the UK has long COVID
🚨 Long COVID symptoms adversely affect the day-to-day activities of 1.2 million people (67% of long COVID sufferers)
🚨 Of those, 346,000 people (19%) are “limited a lot”
🚨 556,000 (31%) first had COVID-19 before Alpha became the main variant; 249,000 (14%) in the Alpha period, 446,000 (25%) in the Delta period, and 438,000 (24%) in the Omicron period.
🚨 Most common symptoms of long COVID:
▫ fatigue (51%)
▫ shortness of breath (33%)
▫ loss of smell (26%)
▫ difficulty concentrating (23%)
🚨 Prevalence of long COVID is greatest in people:
▫ aged 35-49 years
▫ living in more deprived areas
▫ working in social care, teaching, education or health care
▫ with another activity-limiting health condition or disability
■ Absence & Attendance in Schools
■ Number of contact tracing alerts sent (England & Wales)
(Source: University of Oxford)
📚 Data Sources:
- Daily summary: Coronavirus in the UK | UK Government
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) NHS Advice | PMP Magazine
- Variants: distribution of cases data | UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA)
- Vaccination Data | UK Government
- What’s new | UK Government
— AUTHORS —
GET THEM INVOLVED:
- Text: This piece was first published in PMP Magazine on 24 May 2022. | The authors write in a personal capacity.
- Data cross-referenced with the latest official data from the UK dashboard.
- Cover: Adobe Stock/SergeyBitos.
- Icons from www.flaticon.com