Time for the UK Government to bring back free lateral flow tests. Of course, we all would like COVID to be over, but simply turning a blind eye to escalating cases and hospitalisations is beyond negligent. It is a plan based on politics, not based on science, nor based on UK data.
The Zoe COVID Study’s positive symptomatic case estimate is currently 193,767 cases (+32% in a week). The 7-day estimate shows 1,220,775 cases in a week (+26.6%). On average, it is now estimated that at least 174,396 people are still infected by coronavirus every day in the UK.
First published in June 2022.
- 📆 Latest Summary
- ⏰ Latest Guidance
- 🐦 Tweets
- 📌 Must-Read
- 🧬 Variants News
- 🏫 Education
- 📈 Full Data
- 💉 Vaccination Data
- 🧩 Long COVID
- 📄 Additional Data
- 🕯️ COVID Death in the World
- 📚 Data Sources
Latest UK Dashboard
Reminder on data reporting in the UK from the UKHSA:
▫ England reports every working day
▫ Scotland reports on Mondays and Thursdays only
▫ Wales reports on Thursdays only
▫ Northern Ireland has stopped reporting altogether
▫ No reporting at the weekend
Note from UKHSA: From Friday 1 July 2022, the COVID-19 Dashboard will move to weekly reporting. Weekly updates will be published every Wednesday commencing on 6 July 2022. The UKHSA adds: “This will bring COVID-19 reporting in line with typical reporting schedules for other respiratory infections. This approach reflects the move from an emergency pandemic response to managing COVID-19 in line with the Government's Living with COVID strategy. This decision will be kept under review in the coming weeks.”
(Source: UKHSA | ZOE | ONS)
UKHSA Latest Data – ENGLAND ONLY
- 316 deaths in England [within 28 days of first positive test result for COVID-19] were reported in the last 7 days.
- 86,029 new coronavirus infections in the last 7 days according to the latest England data report – the actual number England-wide is potentially significantly higher.
- 228,750 coronavirus infections have been reported across England in the last 28 days according to data in the latest England data report.
- The number of deaths in England in the past week equates on average to around 45.1 deaths each of the past 7 days. If this was to be the “new normal” for daily deaths caused by COVID-19, then annually this would equate to around 16,477 deaths across England.
- Meanwhile, a total of 1,386 deaths due to COVID-19 have been reported across England in the last 28 days.
- 797 COVID-19 hospital admissions in England occurred on 18 June 2022.
- 5,726 patients suffering from COVID-19 are currently occupying hospital beds in England – reported as of 20 June 2022.
- 150 COVID-19 patients are occupying mechanical ventilation beds in England - according to the data reported on 20 June 2022.
- All three of these healthcare measures continue to be a concern for our under-pressure NHS.
- 872 days since the first infection due to the SARS-CoV-2 virus was reported in Britain (31 January 2020)
- 836 days since the first reported death in Britain (6 March 2020). Coronavirus has now been responsible for infecting around 18.9 million people in England (according to the official reported positive cases data)
Zoe COVID Study & ONS Infection Survey UK Latest Estimates
■ Zoe COVID Study
■ ONS Infection Survey UK Latest Estimates
■ UK Government’s List of symptoms of COVID-19
After two years without updating its list of just three symptoms of COVID-19 (a high temperature, a new continuous cough and a loss or change to the sense of smell or taste), the NHS has finally updated its list of symptoms of COVID:
😩 Shortness of breath
🥱 Feeling tired or exhausted
🤕 An aching body
🤯 A headache
🤐 A sore throat
🤧 A blocked or runny nose
😞 Loss of appetite
🤮 Feeling sick or being sick
■ ZOE COVID Study’s Top 20 symptoms of COVID-19 (as of 26-May-2022)
we need your help
Since February 2022, the UKHSA has slowly reduced the publishing of its daily COVID updates, following the UK Government’s narrative that we should all “live with the virus”.
England now reports on weekdays, Scotland reports on Mondays and Thursdays only, Wales reports on Thursdays only, and Northern Ireland has stopped reporting altogether.
The virus doesn’t take a break at weekends.
It doesn’t infect people from time to time.
It doesn’t stop at a border either.
The virus still spreads and kills people every day in the UK and around the world. COVID-19 is NOT over.
We, at PMP, have decided to continue to publish the latest COVID data available every day, especially the Zoe COVID Study estimates – probably more accurate than the UK Government’s own data since free testing has ended in England, and the ONS COVID Infection Survey estimates.
Please, support our work through our crowdfunding to help us to continue our COVID reporting: Donate now.
■ 🧬 COG-UK sequencing
📈 ENGLAND COMBINED COVID-19 CHART
(Source: UK Health Security Agency)
📈 UKHSA COVID-19 CHARTS
💉 Latest UK Vaccination
Note: UK vaccination data is now published weekly on Mondays.
Note: Data cross-referenced with the latest official data from the UK dashboard.
Total UK population: 67,081,234 (last year: 66,796,800), via ONS (subject to changes in population over the year). These figures were updated on 25 June 2021. (Source: ONS)
🚨 2.0 million people currently live with long COVID in the UK (vs 1.8 million last month)
🚨 3.1% of the UK population currently live with long COVID (vs 2.8%)
🚨 1 in 33 people in the UK has long COVID
🚨 Long COVID symptoms adversely affect the day-to-day activities of 1.4 million people, 71% of long COVID sufferers (vs 1.2 million)
🚨 Of those, 398,000 people (20%) are “limited a lot” (vs 346,000)
🚨 593,000 (30%) first had COVID-19 before Alpha became the main variant; 239,000 (12%) in the Alpha period, 427,000 (21%) in the Delta period, and 619,000 (31%) in the Omicron period.
🚨 Most common symptoms of long COVID:
▫ fatigue (55%)
▫ shortness of breath (32%)
▫ cough (23%)
▫ muscle ache (23%)
🚨 Prevalence of long COVID is greatest in people:
▫ aged 35-69 years
▫ living in more deprived areas
▫ working in social care, teaching, education or health care
▫ with another activity-limiting health condition or disability
LONG COVID News
- Almost 1 in 20 older pupils have had long COVID | ONS
- As the pandemic ebbs, long-haul Covid still drains patients and confounds doctors | The Guardian
- Long COVID found in 20% of US cases — CDC
- Is Omicron Creating More Cases of Long Covid? — Bloomberg
- Long Covid can lead to trauma and depression — Sunday Times
■ Absence & Attendance in Schools
■ Number of contact tracing alerts sent (England & Wales)
(Source: University of Oxford)
📚 Data Sources:
- Daily summary: Coronavirus in the UK | UK Government
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) NHS Advice | PMP Magazine
- Variants: distribution of cases data | UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA)
- Vaccination Data | UK Government
- What’s new | UK Government
— AUTHORS —
- Text: This piece was first published in PMP Magazine on 20 June 2022. | The authors write in a personal capacity.
- Data cross-referenced with the latest official data from the UK dashboard.
- Cover: Adobe Stock/SergeyBitos.
- Icons from www.flaticon.com