I don’t know about you but the Colombian election has been a rare bright spot in the news from the Americas.
First published: June 2022.
Note that news Colombia has elected its first-ever leftist leader and its first-ever Afro-Colombian vice president came as we learnt the following:
** that the Texas Republican Party had approved a far-right official party platform claiming that President Biden was not legitimately elected
** and the longstanding US Republican drive to use the long arm of the law to rewrite environmental regulations may be coming to fruition, or simply coming to a head (with the US Supreme Court soon to hand down a decision on West Virginia vs Environmental Protection Agency)
Some prospered during the pandemic & claimed hundreds of millions of pounds from the government’s furlough scheme. PMP received nothing. Help us as we crowdfund to make sure we continue our work.Please CHIP IN to keep us going!
In light of continuing US craziness over Joe Biden’s election, the results of Colombia’s date with the ballot box were refreshingly quick, fuss-free... and dare one say it, American. Leftie Gustavo Petro’s opponent, so-called “Colombian Donald Trump” Rodolfo Hernandez, quickly acceded defeat.
“The peaceful transfer of power is something we have long expected to see in America.”
Gustavo Petro Urrego. | Flickr
The peaceful transfer of power is something we have long expected to see in America. Just as night follows day, we expect power to be handed over, carefully and in full view of a watching world.
Well, we still reliably see this magical transition in America, i.e. in a part of America, just not necessarily in the United States of America.
- Texas Republicans Approve Far-Right Platform Declaring Biden’s Election Illegitimate | The New York Times
- Texas Republican party adopts far-right position that homosexuality is ‘abnormal’ | The Guardian
- Texas GOP's swing to far-right cemented with party platform | The Independent
- Republican Drive to Tilt Courts Against Climate Action Reaches a Crucial Moment | The New York Times
— AUTHOR —
- Text: This piece was originally published in Medium and re-published in PMP Magazine on 21 June 2022, with the author’s consent. | The author writes in a personal capacity.
- Cover: Unsplash/Flavia Carpio. (Licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.)