S ince February 2022, the UKHSA has slowly reduced the publishing of its daily COVID updates, following the UK Government’s narrative that we should all “live with the virus”. They now report only once a week. We, at PMP Magazine, have decided to continue to publish the latest COVID data available every day using the data from the ZOE COVID Study and the ONS Infection Survey to understand what is still happening with the pandemic.
▪ The Latest
The current ZOE COVID Study positive symptomatic case estimate is 146,305 new cases. It is predicted that at least 2,174,318 people have symptomatic COVID today in the UK.
- Latest estimate: 146,305 new cases (-1.1% in a week)
- 7-day estimate: 1,023,696 cases (-7.1%)
- Daily average: 146,242 people infected on average every day
- Currently predicted to have COVID: 2,154,710 people
- It is estimated that there have been 61,129,310 cases in the UK since 1-Jan-2022
▪ Latest COVID News
Those who had symptoms with their first infection less likely to be reinfected
According to the ONS, the majority (93.4%) of all identified second infections between 2 July 2020 and 28 October 2022 have continued to be in the period when the Omicron variants were dominant (20 December 2021 onwards).
Between 16 June and 28 October 2022, people were more likely to be reinfected if they:
- did not report symptoms within 35 days of their first infection
- had a lower viral load at their first infection
- were a younger child
- had their second or third vaccination 90 days or more previously compared with those who had their third vaccination 14 to 89 days previously
- had their fourth vaccination 14 days or more previously compared with those who had their third vaccination 14 to 89 days previously
This analysis includes first reinfections only, that is, individuals who have had a positive test for a second COVID-19 infection.
READ OUR FULL REVIEW
OF ALL COVID-RELATED DATA & DETAILS
— AUTHOR —
▫ J.N. PAQUET, Author & Journalist, Editor of PMP Magazine.
- Text: This piece was first published in PMP Magazine on 16 November 2022. | The authors write in a personal capacity.
- Data cross-referenced with the latest official data from the UK dashboard.
- Cover: Unsplash/Fusion Medical Animation.
- Icons from www.flaticon.com