S ince February 2022, the UKHSA has slowly reduced the publishing of its daily COVID updates, following the UK Government’s narrative that we should all “live with the virus”. They now report only once a week. We, at PMP Magazine, have decided to continue to publish the latest COVID data available every day using the data from the ZOE COVID Study and the ONS Infection Survey to understand what is still happening with the pandemic.
▪ The Latest
The current ZOE COVID Study positive symptomatic case estimate is 149,224 new cases. It is predicted that at least 2,098,672 people have symptomatic COVID today in the UK.
- Latest estimate: 149,224 new cases (+3.0% in a week)
- 7-day estimate: 1,035,267 cases (+1.0%)
- Daily average: 147,895 people infected on average every day
- Currently predicted to have COVID: 2,098,672 people
- It is estimated that there have been 62,018,272 cases in the UK since 1-Jan-2022
▪ Latest COVID News
COVID-19 second highest cause of death for care home residents in 2021
According to the ONS, COVID-19 was the second highest leading cause of death for approximately 14,800 care home residents in England and Wales in 2021, down from 25,500 care home residents in 2020.
This meant that coronavirus remained the second highest cause of death for care home residents in 2021, following Dementia and Alzheimer's disease. Among the general population, COVID-19 was also the second highest cause of death in 2021.
In England, coronavirus remained the leading cause of death in care home residents aged under 65, but at a lower rate than in 2020. In 2021, the virus accounted for 8.7% of male care home resident deaths and 9.2% of female care home resident deaths aged under 65 in England. In 2020, 13.5% of male deaths and 13.4% of female deaths among these younger care home residents had coronavirus as a leading cause of death.
In Wales, the leading cause of death for most age groups in 2021 was Dementia and Alzheimer's disease. COVID-19 was the leading cause of death for male care home residents under 65, accounting for 14.3% of deaths (compared with 12.5% of deaths of male care home residents in 2020).
READ OUR FULL REVIEW
OF ALL COVID-RELATED DATA & DETAILS
— AUTHOR —
▫ J.N. PAQUET, Author & Journalist, Editor of PMP Magazine.
- Text: This piece was first published in PMP Magazine on 22 November 2022. | The authors write in a personal capacity.
- Data cross-referenced with the latest official data from the UK dashboard.
- Cover: Unsplash/Fusion Medical Animation.
- Icons from www.flaticon.com