A quick review of what happened on this day in history.
ON THIS DAY...
- ... in 2019, an Iranian woman, Sahar Khodayari, tragically died after setting herself on fire during her trial in Tehran. She had been charged for entering a stadium disguised as a man, highlighting the restrictions faced by women in Iran.
- ... in 2018, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres urgently called for a climate change conference, emphasising that the pace of climate change was outstripping our efforts to address it effectively.
- ... also in 2018, California passed a law committing to sourcing carbon-free electricity by 2045.
- ... in 2008, the world witnessed the first test operation of the Large Hadron Collider, the most powerful particle accelerator ever created.
- ... in 2002, Switzerland, traditionally known for its neutrality, joined the United Nations, signalling its desire to actively engage in global affairs.