A quick review of what happened on this day in history.
ON THIS DAY...
- ... in 490BC: The Battle of Marathon took place, where a small Athenian force achieved a decisive victory over the Persian Empire.
- 1217: French Prince Louis VIII and English King Henry III signed a peace treaty, putting an end to their conflict after the French relinquished his claim to the English throne.
- 1624: The first submarine was publicly tested in London on the Thames, commissioned by King James I.
- 1695: The Jewish community in New York petitioned Governor Dongan, requesting religious liberties.
- 1755: Giacomo Casanova was sentenced to 5 years imprisonment in Venice without trial for his affront to religion and common decency.
- 1759: British soldiers successfully captured the town of Quebec, in Canada.